Sunday, March 7, 2010

Fat Tire FAIL!


OK, So I got invited by the roadies to go for a 29 mile ride today, and at my buddy George's suggestion I left the Cobia behind and tried out the Trek 7.5FX we got for my wife. I will admit that it wasn't a bad ride and the group was really a good one ( especially considering I am the snail of the group for the day). The weather was excellent by Oklahoma standards sunny, upper 60's, and only about a 10 MPH wind (headwind outbound). George was realizing tht I like to corner faster than the roadies, which I blame on my fat tire heritage (brakes in the corner - sacrilege!), but he pointed out that the poor skinny little tires on these bikes are allergic to almost everything and love to flat (have you flatted yet?). I have to admit that I am used to the 29er tires which tend to roll over almost anything in their path with little issue. All in all it was a great day hanging with the roadies.

Just before the ride my wife and I had put in a few miles with our son in tow and realized that the trailer makes a great boat anchor when traveling into the wind. I think I worked harder on this short ride than on the 29 miles with the roadies. However, the trailer makes like a sail when going with the wind! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment